Shortly after World War 1 the Maribyrnong Hill and Bagotville Progress Association, assisted by Mr Thomas Ryan MLA, campaigned for a primary school in the Ascot Vale West area. The original site was to be Victory Park but a change of site was decided to give more open space surrounding the school.
The school was established on the 20th May 1920 under the direction of Mr Lightfoot. headteacher
at Moonee Ponds West Primary School and some children attended at the church hall in Charles Street, Ascot Vale.
On the 19th February 1923 the school moved into its new two story brick building on 4 acres of land in Langs Road, south of Victor Park. It went from prep to grade 8.
The brick building was the first school erected in Victoria on plans jointly approved by Victoria and South Australia. Mr Frank Tate, Victorian Director of Education and Mr Williams of South Australia went to England and brought back plans which were used for the school built here.
419 Pupils were enrolled, most of whom had transferred from Moonee Ponds West and Ascot Vale
primary schools. The first enrolled student was Frances Barrett.
Crockford Library is named in honour of 3 generations of the Crockford family, for services rendered to the School Committee. The Crockford family owned the local dairy in Epsom Road.
( Teams used for internal school sporting events )
Bagot (Blue) was named after Bagotville, a subdivision of land surrounding Flemington Racecourse and included our school area. It was formed in 1849.
Fisher (Yellow) was named after C.B. (Charles) Fisher, a famous racing steward with the Victorian Racing Committee and prominent early settler who owned a considerable amount of land in Ascot Vale.
Lumsden (Green) was named after A.J. Lumsden, the first headmaster of Ascot Vale West P.S.
Trainer (Red) was named after the popular late “Snowy” H Trainor an elderly man who lived in Victory Parade opposite the school. For many years as a council employee he cared for Victory Park and showed great affection for the children of AVW.