At Ascot Vale West Primary School, we offer a weekly Lunchtime Club program.
Lunchtime clubs are an evidence-based way of providing activities during recess and/or lunchtime. They help build student engagement, social skills, and inclusion for all students.
We have found that Lunchtime Clubs have benefits for students and the whole school community, including:
- improved peer-to-peer and teacher-student relationships and wellbeing
- a sense of personal empowerment and student voice
- development of social and emotional skills
- improved academic achievement
- positive school climate and increased student sense of safety
- reduction in bullying and playground behaviour incidents.
The programs are run by teachers and education support staff and include such things as:
- Construction (blocks, Lego, Duplo)
- Board Games
- Mindful colouring
Through the Lunchtime Club Program students are able to build friendships with children outside of their classroom learning environment. It provides opportunities for them to come together in a club they are interested in, within a small quieter environment.